So yes, it’s two words and not one. But it’s still one thing, one idea to get you thinking toward the many different delicious treats you can make using blood oranges. Haven’t tried them yet? Don’t be afraid. They taste like regular oranges, only sweeter. The juice of the dark varieties may stain, though, so be sure to wear an apron or work shirt.
- Love to Cook: Seafood with blood orange sauce; blood orange sorbet or panna cotta
- Weeknight Reality: Citrus salad, topped with grilled chicken (or shrimp skewers)
- Need a Miracle: Spinach salad with blood orange vinaigrette; mini grilled cheese sandwiches
- Oven Roasted Dungeness Crab – bon appetit via Epicurious (about 30 minutes)
- Shrimp Escabeche with Blood Orange Mojo – bon appetit via Epicurious (20 minutes active time; 2 hours to chill)
- Blood Orange Panna Cotta – bon appetit via Epicurious (about an hour)
- Beet, Blood Orange and Endive Salad with Asparagus – Epicurious (a little over an hour)
- Citrus Salad with Fried Rosemary and Olives – bon appetit via Epicurious (less than 20 minutes)
One mustn’t ask apple trees for oranges, France for sun, women for love, life for happiness.