We’re heading into prime artichoke season, and while canned or marinated artichoke hearts are delicious, there’s nothing quite like a fresh artichoke steamed and served with lemon and butter. If you’ve never cooked a real, fresh artichoke, there’s a guide in the Recipe Links that will help. Just remember not to pop the entire leaf in your mouth and start chewing like my father once did at a fancy dinner party.
Whether you’ve got the luxury of time or anticipate a 6:00 panicked run to the grocery, here are some ideas for putting artichokes on the main stage tonight:
- Love to Cook: Stuffed artichokes with a simple green salad (watercress, arugula or baby kale)
- Weeknight Reality: Quick braised artichokes, pan-braised chicken cutlets, Israeli couscous
- Need a Miracle: Salad with marinated artichoke hearts, olives, sweet peppers & rotisserie chicken over greens
- Artichokes: Bake, Boil or Steam? – Amanda Greene via Huffington Post
- Sardinian Grilled Artichokes – Food & Wine
- Stuffed Artichokes – Gourmet via Epicurious
- Quick Braised Artichokes – Martha Stewart
- Artichoke Crostini – Saveur
- Artichoke Heart, Fennel and Parmesan Salad – Gourmet, via Epicurious
- Marinated Olives, Red Bell Pepper, Artichoke Hearts & Mushrooms – bon appetit via Epicurious
A woman is like an artichoke, you must work hard to get to her heart.
Inspector Jacques Clouseau, The Pink Panther (2006)