Missed a day or want a full set of ideas in one place? Here are six prompts to help you make it through the week, whether you have plenty of time to cook or need a miracle nightly. Click the one word prompt to go to the full set of ideas and recipe links.
Want a daily nudge in your inbox? Click the Follow button on the right.
Garlic – Something stout and pungent to ward off evil spirits
- Love to Cook: Whole Roast Chicken; Aioli with Roasted Vegetables
- Weeknight Reality: Garlic Shrimp with Linguini (or Beans)
- Need a Miracle: Grazing Platter with Olives, Dried Salami, Garlic Hummus, Garlic & Herb Boursin Cheese, Crackers & Fresh Vegetables
Broth – Warm savory liquid, stocked with goodness and flavor
- Love to Cook: Italian Wedding Soup; Whole Grain Peasant Loaf
- Weeknight Reality: Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup with Cheese Toasts
- Need a Miracle: Minestrone (from the grocery deli); Take-and-Bake Garlic Bread
Cream – Something rich and soft, well-blended
- Love to Cook: Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce; Braised Leeks
- Weeknight Reality: Sautéed Beef Tips with Creamed Spinach, or Baked Eggs with Herbed Cream
- Need a Miracle: Grilled Chicken Kebabs (store-bought); Berries with Fresh Whipped Cream
Contrast – Something with sharply contrasting but complementary flavors or colors
- Love to Cook: “Christmas” Enchiladas or Burritos (alternating red and green chile)
- Weeknight Reality: Bow-Tie Pasta with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce; Swiss Chard Salad with Dried Fruit
- Need a Miracle: Take-out Hot Wings with Celery and Blue Cheese Dressing
Mint – Something bright and clean with a clear finish
- Love to Cook: Lamb Kebabs with Mint Pesto
- Weeknight Reality: Spring Rolls with Vegetable Fried Rice
- Need a Miracle: Grilled Chicken Salad with Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for Dessert
Toast – Something warm with a crisp edge
- Love to Cook: Brioche French Toast with Maple Syrup and Grilled Sausage
- Weeknight Reality: Turkey Burgers with Cheddar & Avocado on Toasted English Muffins
- Need a Miracle: Toasted French Bread Slices with Deli Platter (Prosciutto, Gorgonzola, Fig Jam & Arugula, etc.)
Want more dinner inspiration? Click on the Follow button to receive daily updates by email.
All words and images belong to Jennifer Balink, 2015. Want to borrow? Please ask first.